Hervey Bay - 07 4191 3500

Tips on Renting out your Property

Tips on Renting out your Property

Legislative requirements and other steps to be attended to prior to a tenancy:

  • The premises and inclusions are to be clean and are to comply with local and state authority building regulations with it being safe and fit to live in
  • A Safety Switch is to be installed for the Power Circuit. Owners of leased domestic residences must have had a safety switch installed for the power circuit of the residence after a residential tenancy agreement has been entered into
  • All windows and doors including cupboard doors open and close easily
  • All locks are secure and operate effectively with keys
  • Full set of keys to be provided - one set for the managing Agent and one full set and access keys if applicable for each Tenant/s named as the lease holder/s under the lease agreement
  • The Property provides adequate security to enable Tenant/s to obtain contents insurance for personal items
  • All corded internal window coverings comply with Trade Practices (Consumer Product Safety Standard - Corded Internal Window Coverings) Regulations 2010
  • Carpets are professionally steam cleaned 
  • Pest control is current - annual service is a requirement
  • All houses and units in QLD must have installed at least one nine volt battery-powered smoke alarm as a minimum legal requirement. A smoke alarm must be installed on or near the ceiling on any storey: Between any area containing bedrooms and the rest of the house or unit eg hallways and on a storey not containing bedrooms on the most likely evacuation route from the storey. Recommendations are hard wired or 10 year lithium battery smoke alarms for cost effectiveness and reliability. (Fact Sheet available upon request)
  • All buildings that are not stand alone houses or townhouses are to comply with Building Fire Safety Regulations. Compliance is the Owner's responsibility. Unit Owners are to check with the Body Corporate to confirm compliancy and annual requirements have been met or, if no Body Corporate is appointed, then Owners are required to arrange a qualified Company to ensure compliancy is met as per the Regulations.
  • Telephone line installation approval has been given. (Tenant is responsible for the connection)
  • If a unit or a townhouse - 2 copies of the By Laws are to be provided to the Managing Agent -  one for the Agent's file and one for the Tenant

If it is your own home being rented out, then we suggest the following:

  • Re-direct mail via Australia Post
  • Notify the Council of your forwarding address for Rates Notices if you have not instructed our Agency to pay the rates on your behalf
  • Notify Ergon Energy, gas, phone and other utility companies to finalize accounts if applicable, and provide your forwarding address details
  • Notify your Insurance Company and Mortgagee Holder of the change of occupancy status
  • If water consumption costs are to be passed onto the Tenant ALL the minimum criteria is to be met as legislation requires. (Fact sheets available upon request on How to be Water Wise and Water Wise Rebates)
  • If your Property has a pool, ensure it meets current Government Regulations in regards to fencing, CPR signage and water consumption/use. The Pool Owner must hold a current Pool Safety Certificate.
  • If the Property is under a Builder's Maintenance Warranty, the Agent will endeavour to have the Builder attend to any defects/repairs required during the period. However it will remain the Owner's responsibility to ensure items are followed up and rectified. Should the Builder not attend to urgent/required items under the Tenant's Lease Agreement, then the Owner authorises the Agent to employ qualified Tradespeople to attend to the requirement and the Owner will seek reimbursement from the Builder for payment
  • Landlord Protection Insurance. Whilst rental reference checks are completed as thoroughly as lawfully allowed, we can not predict or know how a Tenant's future ability to meet their tenancy obligations can be affected eg in event of death or long illness, loss of job, relationship split etc. We recommend all Lessors arrange an insurance policy to protect their investment. Brochures are available upon request

Other recommendations:

  • Contents Insurance for your Property's fittings and fixtures - may be included with your Property insurances or incorporated in a Landlord Protection policy. As your Managing Agent we require that you have Public Liability Insurance for your Property. If your Property is a unit the cover must include the internal unit space. NOTE: Public Liability under the Building Insurance, taken out by the Body Corporate, only covers the common areas. It does not cover events inside your unit.
  • Provide Agent copies of operating instructions or manuals for appliances or other items which Tenants require instructions to use
  • Provide Agent with Warranty details for any applicable item or building works, if applicable
  • Exchange or arrange for the normal light bulbs to be exchanged for Energy Efficient Light Bulbs
  • Pre-place picture hooks on walls in best locations - this helps control placement and number of picture hooks allowed and protects walls
  • Leave specific cleaning instructions for specific items eg solid stove hotplates - we strongly recommend you supply a set of covers for the plates as inventory items, as well as a tube of the element cleaner
  • Arrange for lawns and gardens to be trimmed and maintained regularly until Tenant commences lease. Untidy lawns / gardens do not attract Tenants
  • Plan for a 'pre-Tenant' spot clean which may be required following leasing activity and just before a new tenancy begins
  • Weed and mulch the gardens
  • Consider installing water saving devices to meet requirements of Local Council Water Restrictions. Optional: Installation of Rain Water Tank (rebate may be applicable from Local Council and State Government)
  • Consider including lawn/garden or pool maintenance in the rent. We can arrange quotes for regular services and adjust the recommended rent accordingly

Find Out More